Here you will find links to papers and abstracts by the NLP++, Conceptual Grammar, and VisualText architects, Amnon Meyers, and David de Hilster.
Papers by Amnon Meyers – 1980s
- “VOX – An Extensible Natural Language Processor” – Amnon Meyers, 1985
- “VOX Naval Text Understanding System” – Amnon Meyers, 1985
Papers by David de Hilster – 1980s
- “Natural language processing at Battelle-Columbus” – Klaus Obermeier & David de Hilster, 1985
- “DIID — Data independent interface for database” (abstract) – Klaus Obermeier & David de Hilster, 1986
MUC: Message Understanding Conferences – 1991-1992
The Message Understanding Conferences (MUC) for computing and computer science, were initiated and financed by DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) to encourage the development of new and better methods of information extraction. The character of this competition, many concurrent research teams competing against one another—required the development of standards for evaluation, e.g. the adoption of metrics like precision and recall.
Authors Amnon Meyers and David de Hilster participated in 1991 and 1992 with Amnon Meyers being instrumental in helping coordinate these first conferences. Motivated by the VOX system, DARPA and Naval Ocean Systems Center (NOSC) launched the MUC series of workshops.
- “MUC-3 Test Results and Analysis” – Meyers & de Hilster, 1991
- “Description of the INLET System Used for MUC-3” – Meyers & de Hilster, 1991
- “MUC-4 Test Results and Analysis” – Meyers & de Hilster, 1992
- “Description of the TexUS System as Used for MUC-4” – Meyers & de Hilster, 1992
- “Text processing in an Integrated Development Environment (IDE): Integrating Natural Language Processing (NLP) techniques” – Paul Deane, Amnon Meyers, David de Hilster – 2001
- “Integrated Development Environments for Natural Language Processing” – Text Analysis International, 2001
- “Multi-Pass Multi-Strategy NLP” – Amnon Meyers, 2003
- “Review: Software: VisualText” – Terence Langendoen, LinguistList.org, 2002